Thursday, January 23, 2014

hamlet film adaptations

I admit that before we watched the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet I had only seen the version with Kenneth Branagh, and I have to say that I preferred the latter. Kenneth Branagh seemed to encompass Hamlet's madness much better than Mel did, and I can't say I really appreciated the scene that Mel's Hamlet had with his mother in bed; I don't think the play intended on having there be a full on incestuous relationship even though it could have been vaguely hinted at. I think Kenneth also had a broader range of emotional responses than Mel did, and when i pictured Hamlet in my head I pictured more of a Kenneth version than a Mel. My favorite scene in the Kenneth version was when Ophelia had the conversation with him and Polonius was spying in on them, because Kenneth's performance of Hamlet's madness was very convincing. He was pacing and frantic and almost foaming at the mouth. Mel looks like an oaf in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment